With every new software update, you get a little something for your website. Drupal 9, presented in June 2020, was a long-awaited release for those who lacked the flexibility and scalability of previous versions. However, Drupal 7 and Drupal 8 received their final end of support dates, thus stimulating migration to the latest version. What do you get by upgrading Drupal 8 to 9?
Upgrade to Drupal 9 Today
With Drupal, scaling the website in harmony with your business growth is easy. This is what Drupal excels in the most. Yet, a sudden rise in the number of pages, functionality, or content could impact the site’s performance. Drupal 9 is here now and it is all geared up to take on this challenge.
Under the revised roadmap, developers plan to release a new major Drupal version every 2-3 years, thus, upgrading sooner would prevent sacrificing the security of your solution and safety of customer data. Just look at the benefits, Drupal 9 can bring to your business. Can you still resist it?
- Enhanced security capabilities. In the 9th version of Drupal, all obsolete code was removed or replaced, which means that there would be much fewer security problems (since most of the bugs that formed known vulnerabilities were eliminated). By the way, starting from November 2021, the Drupal team promises to regularly provide this version with security policy updates. The third-party dependencies have also been updated. As for compatibility, most of the code interfaces remained untouched, which means that developers will not have problems with Drupal 8 to 9 migration and support of existing addons.
- Increased performance. Upgrading Drupal 8 to 9 you get access to numerous core modules to maintain performance at a high level even deploying the most complex solutions while maintaining the margin of adaptability. There are several ones worth mentioning: Big Pipe (performs caching of metadata and speeds up the page sending), an extended Internal Dynamic Page Cache (for caching dynamic content), Internal Page Cache (for caching data of anonymous users), Blazy (for lazy loading and multi-serving of pictures), CDN (for the integration with CDNs), and many more. Also, do not forget about the support of Memcache and Redis, which help to optimize the loading of rich media and speed up the rendering process.
- Wide facilities for international sites development. With Drupal 9, which supports more than 100+ languages, developers can easily create and maintain multi-local websites. It is also additionally facilitated by a built-in on-the-fly translation engine. All the local-changing capabilities also concern the administrative panel.
- Optimized content processing. Drupal 9 has a new feature that allows you to simultaneously manage several versions of the site. Drupal 8 to 9 upgrade allows simplifying the process of synchronizing changes between different versions of your portal.
- Boosted Availability. By supporting international Internet accessibility policies and WCAG, Drupal 9-based solutions can be adapted to serving people with disabilities to make the website accessible for all. Every year the company strives to improve existing modules and develop new ones to make sure that this software is as adapted as possible to the needs of people with disabilities. If you are also aware of this issue Drupal 8 to Drupal 9 migration would be your first choice.
- Simplified migration process. Basically, the Drupal 8 to 9 upgrade process is not complex, but it has become much easier taking into account previous versions. Still, to avoid costly mistakes and make sure your website will get advantages instead of problems, take professional help.
So, now you can see that Drupal 9 was made with the thought to ensure the smoothest possible migration process from the previous version, while at the same time offering new opportunities for content management, advanced localization features, increased performance, optimized accessibility, etc.
Drupal 8 vs Drupal 9: Core Reasons to Upgrade
The need to upgrade Drupal 8 to 9 is as follows: in November 2021, the Drupal development team gave up the LTS support for older versions in favor of a newer system of forcing the continuous introduction of minor engine versions. Hence, if your site is based on an outdated platform, you will not be able to get technical support in case you have any problems with it.
Also, the Drupal team will stop releasing the bug fixes for previous versions, which will entail the possibility of successful hacks. Keep in mind that an untimely migration can lead to leaks of user data and other troubles with data security.
Finally, you will no longer be able to connect the latest versions of the necessary modules, which will significantly limit the capabilities of your site.
That is why you need to upgrade Drupal 8 to 9 as soon as possible.
Enable Drupal 8 To Drupal 9 Migration Process with AnyforSoft
The Drupal community has created several handy upgrade Drupal 8 to 9 guides and recommendations that are widely used by experts and beginners. However, it is impossible to take into account all special cases or potential difficulties, which is why it is important to initially turn to an experienced and reliable team. AnyforSoft has built its own Drupal 8 to 9 migration algorithm:
- Auditing. It all starts with exploring and evaluating current Architecture, Functionality, Structures. This is a mandatory stage that allows engineers to thoroughly study the site, determine the strengths and weaknesses, and predict possible difficulties. It is important to take into account the individual characteristics of each platform, as well as the requirements of all stakeholders.
- Building a Strategy. Creating a Drupal 8 to 9 migration plan is a whole set of procedures that includes a step-by-step consideration of issues and challenges. As a rule, the plan includes several mandatory stages, such as testing, for example, and custom solutions.
- Getting ready. It is the third step already, and the process of upgrading Drupal 8 to 9 has not yet begun? This is because we care about the quality of work and strive to do everything as reliably as possible. Preparing the Drupal environment includes working with the core and modules, the more complex the structure of the site, the longer the preparation.
- Migrating/Upgrading. Drupal 8 to 9 upgrade also consists of three essential stages: data migration, installing extensions, developing specific functionality. All this is carried out according to a previously developed roadmap and it will be quite difficult to make any changes.
- Testing and maintaining. The final stage of the upgrade Drupal 8 to 9 consists of several types of testing. Among the main ones are Smoke testing, Regression Testing, Performance testing. Other types can also be applied if it is required by the platform or project.
Thus, using an integrated approach, AnyforSoft provides a seamless and smooth Drupal upgrade 8 to 9.
Of course, you can conduct the migration process yourself. However, despite the outside brevity of the upgrade to Drupal 9, it is not an easy process with some unexpected pitfalls in the way, and it is better to entrust its implementation to professionals.
The Anyforsoft team is composed of certified, highly trained, and experienced developers, engineers, and designers. In particular, we can boast sizable expertise in the development, modernization, and migration of Drupal-based solutions. Contact us now to discuss the details of your project!